Admission for M.Sc. (Computer Science) – 2016
Testdate: April 10, 2016
Eligibility :MSc Computer Science is a two year (four Semester) academic programme.
12 years of schooling + a 3 or 4 year Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a relevant area* with mathematics as a subject either at the Bachelor’s level or at 10+2 (12th class) level from an institution recognized by the government of any of the SAARC countries, with the following minimum eligibility marks criteria:
For candidates from the annual system: 55% and above
For candidates from the semester system (percentage): 60% and above
For candidates from the GPA semester system, the formula for determining percentage is as follows:
CGPA obtained X 100 / Maximum GPA obtainable.
Such candidates are required to have a minimum of 65% marks or above.
*Indicative List of Relevant Areas:
1. Computer Engineering 2. Computer Technology 3. Computer Applications 4. Information Science 5. Information Technology 6. Software Systems 7. Software Engineering 8. Software Technology 9. Electronics Engineering 10. Electronics and Communication Engineering 11. Electrical & Electronic Engineering 12. Physics/ Applied Physics 13. Statistics/ Applied Statistics 14.Mathematics/ Applied Mathematics 15. Instrumentation Engineering
Format of the Entrance Test question paper and course:
The duration of the Entrance Test will be 3 hours and the question paper will consist of 100 multiple choice questions in two parts.
Negative Marks for Wrong Answers:
One fourth of marks assigned to any question will be deducted if the answer is wrong in Multiple Choice Questions.
The test is divided into two parts:
PART A: will have 40 multiple choice questions of one mark each on the following areas of Mathematical Science:
Set Theory and Algebra: Sets, Relations, Functions, Groups, Partial Orders, Lattice, Boolean Algebra.
Matrices and Determinants: Determinants, Matrices, systems of Linear Equations
Combinatorics: Permutations, Combinations, Counting, Summation
Probability and Statistics: Mean, median, mode and standard deviation; Conditional probability, independent events, total probability, Baye’s theorem
Calculus: Limit, Continuity and Differentiability, Mean value Theorems, Theorems of Integral Calculus, Evaluation of Definite and Improper Integrals, partial Derivatives, Total Derivatives, Maxima and Minima.
Ordinary Differential Equations: First Order First Degree Equations, Variable Separable Method, Homogeneous Equations, Exact Equations, Integrating Factors, Linear Equations.
Vector Analysis: Addition, Subtraction, Dot Product and Cross Products of Vectors.
PART B: will have 60 multiple choice questions of one mark each on the following areas of undergraduate level Computer Science:
Discrete Mathematics: Sets, Relations, Functions, Boolean Algebra, Propositional logic, First order Predicate Logic
Programming in C: Elements of C, Identifiers, Data Types, Control Structures, Iteration, Structured Data Types: Array, Structure, Union, Strings, Pointers, Functions, Parameter Passing to Functions, Recursion.
Data Structures & Algorithms: Elementary Space and Time Complexity Analysis, Sorting: Bubble Sort, Insertion Sort, Selection Sort, Searching: Linear and Binary Search, Elementary concepts of list, stack, queue, tree and graph.
Digital Logic Design and Computer Architecture: Number System, Data Representation, and Computer Arithmetic, Logic Gates, Combinational and Sequential Circuits, Computer Organization, Instruction Formats and Addressing, Memory Organization and I/O Interfaces.
Application Fee of Entrance Test :
An Entrance Test will be conducted simultaneously throughout the SAARC region on 10April 2016. The fee for appearing in the entrance test is US $10 or INR 650/-. Applications for admission will be accepted only online and payment must be made by credit/debit cards or net banking. Those who cannot pay the application fee online still need to fill and submit the online application form. They can then courier a bank draft for US$ 10 or INR 650/- drawn in favor of “South Asian University” payable at New Delhi to the Deputy Registrar Admissions, South Asian University, Akbar Bhawan, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021, India. The bank draft must have the name of the candidate, application number and the programme applied for at the back of the bank draft. However, registration will be done only on receipt of the bank draft..
Venues of Entrance Test:
The following is a list of the main cities where the entrance test will be conducted:
Chittagong and Dhaka (Bangladesh),
Karachi and Lahore (Pakistan),
Colombo (Sri Lanka) and
India (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, New Delhi, Patna (Khagol) and Thiruvananthapuram).
Admit Cards will be sent to applicants by email.
Guidelines for Applicants :
- Please keep ready scanned copies (in .JPEG or .JPG format) of a colour photo (size 2″ x 2″), your signature (in black ink, size 2″ x 2″) and an Identity Card with photo (your National ID card, Driving License, Passport, Voter/Ration/Adhar card etc. are all valid).
- Please allow pop-ups in the browser setting before you register online.
- Register online by providing your full name(s), the programme name you are applying for and your email ID. Your first name, middle name and last name should be the same as in your educational and ID documents. Enter your email address and cell phone number with country code. Please re-check all spellings before submitting the registration because once you have registered, you cannot make any changes.
- Once you register online, the system will send you two separate emails giving your User ID and Password on your email ID. Please login by providing the User ID and Password sent to you and complete your application.
- If you have any queries regarding any field, you can click on the question mark symbol (?) against it for clarification.
- You can edit your application details before making payment online. Once payment is made, you will not be able to make any changes in your application.
- Your application will be registered after you have made payment.
- If you wish to apply for another programme at SAU, login once again to the Admission portal with the same User ID and Password and select the other programme. You will be required to only fill your educational details and make payment. Application fee for each programme must be paid separately and is non-refundable.
- Before applying for more than one programme, please check the test timings/shifts in the admission notice on the SAU website. If the entrance test for both the programmes falls in the same shift, you will be allowed to sit in only one.
- Those who do not wish to/cannot make payment online are still required to apply online. They may make payment through bank draft, write their name, application number and the programme they have applied for on the back of the bank draft (which should be drawn in favour of “South Asian University”, payable at New Delhi) and courier it to the Deputy Registrar Admissions, South Asian University, Akbar Bhawan, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi, 110021, India. However, you will be registered only after your draft has been received.
- Please note that an incomplete application form or wrong and incomplete information in it will lead to the rejection/cancellation of admission.
Last date of Application:
March 11, 2016
Entrance test date:
April 10, 2016
July 26, 2016
For Apply Online,Click here
For Instructions for filling in the application form,Click here
For detail InformationClick here
For Previous year Question paper & Solutions, Click here